Thursday 14 January 2016

One Good Thing

I have decided to do the MTBOS blogging challenge this year. If you don't know what it is here is a little about it https://exploremtbos.wordpress.com/ . This week we are writing about good things. What a great way to start the year by keeping your focus on the good and special moments. 



I work at an absolutely fabulous school. If you ever want to work overseas you should really check it out! Here are the people I work with and they are a crazy mess but over the time I have been here they have turned into best friends and family. This year I really wanted to focus more on relationships. My brain thinks very much your job is math so just teach it and I would get frustrated when it didn't go as planned. This year I decided that I really needed to focus on the students above the material and it has made a world of difference in my day and my classes. I have also decided to be intentional with my coworkers. I am blessed to have 3 planning periods. Yes you read that correctly. Sometimes that is my lowest times of the day so I decided to change that. I decided I needed to love on my people. So one way I decided to do this was every morning before school when we have to arrive at the crack of dawn before anyone really wants to be awake I created breakfast club. There are about 5 of us who gather to have breakfast. I am positive this time was intended for prep but instead it makes all of us a little happier, more connected, and ready to face the day with a little laughter and joy. This is one big thing that has changed how my day goes.

 
(Why is this the only picture I have of us? Could someone post a normal picture of us on Facebook?)
---
Everyday our school starts out with mission time for 25 minutes. I have 4 sweet girls in my group that I have had the chance to connect with on a more personal level. I am most thankful for Thursdays when we all worship together. 
--

For some small things 
--
Someone grabbed me a coke during the day which was so kind.
--
The weather has been "cold" (70-75 degrees) in Kigali this week due to all the rain.
--
my kids keep pushing the boundaries of critical thinking and I love it!
--
Students comments today that just made me laugh/smile

"Math is really my favorite subject now"  

" I wish we could do this everyday" (math project)

Referring to a road trip project: "Could I just live in my car" no  "well then I will get the cheap hotel and bring my airsoft gun to kill the rats" well I guess that is one solution

"You know you are really energetic and you care about each student" (tear jerker)  
--
I had a guest speaker who is an alumni and currently in college pursuing a math major so it was great having him come and speak to my students about all the things you can do with math. 
 
What a great week! 





1 comment: